Pages

Saturday 15 March 2014

Restaurant Review: Cocks and Cows

This is the first time at attempting a food review on my blog, so apologies for the pretty rubbish photos and ramblings from me. If I do another restaurant blog post I will be a bit more prepared next time. Anyway on to the review...

Let's first just get one thing straight. Eating out in Copenhagen is expensive. This is a fact. I don't think you can find many (if any) sit-down meals for under £10, which is currently around DKK 80-90. Take-out food you can find cheaper (e.g. pizza aroung DKK 60). I thought that London was expensive, but Copenhagen is more so i'm afraid. Because of this, I do not eat out much. However when I have guests visiting, it's nice to treat ourselves once in a while.

There are a few American style diners popping up around the city which tend to be on the cheaper scale. I came across Cocks & Cows on tripadvisor with good reviews so booked for a Valentines Day meal. When we arrived for our table, it was busy - and I mean super busy. There was a queue of people waiting outside of the door. We were told our table would be a few minutes late so were shown to the bar downstairs. Less people, comfy sofas and a 'hygge' atmosphere, we enjoyed a drink while waiting. Our table was ready in 5 minutes and so time for the food!

Cheese and Smoke (L) and Pulled Pork (R)

We each ordered a burger, and then shared 3 sides (which is a deal they offer for DKK 80-90). W ordered the 'Cheese and Smoke' (bacon) and I ordered the 'Pulled Pork'. You can choose what bun you want, we both has 'American Sweet' which is similar to brioche and I also added jalapenos to mine (a personal favourite). Our sides consisted of curly fries, onion rings and BBQ ribs. Burgers we also cooked rare on request which was nice. A bit of a wait for the food, but considering the amount of people in the restaurant it wasn't an issue. All food was great and polished off in quick time, washed down with a bottle of Sol.

Our feast!

Somehow after all that food we still had room for dessert. I think this was the only slight let down. We ordered a brownie to share which was nice, but it wasn't really a brownie. More cake like in texture and covered in a layer of melted chocolate, like icing. Still enjoyable though.

W managing to look both impressed and unimpressed? (I assure you it was the former)

The bill was not cheap nor expensive for all that food, 2 beers and 2 glasses of cava. A definite recommendation if you are in the City centre!

 Also the toilet situations confused me, I'm still not sure whether I am a Cock or a Cow. I made a guess for the latter but there were men in both!

Byeee for now!



Gammel Strand 34, 1202 Kbh. K


1 comment:

  1. Hi Alexxy! Your videos are very helpful to me, because I'm trying to improve my poor english, and I'm learning danish and german. Have you ever taste flæskesvær?

    Some months ago, jeg har været i Fastelavn: slå katten af tønden (don't worry, without a true cat). Jeg vidste en masse dejlige mennesker. Jeg lærer sproget, jeg er ikke dansk: jeg er fra Buenos Aires, i Argentina. Jeg kunne godt tænke mig at forstå forskellene mellem katolikker og protestanter, det er derfor jeg vil begynde at komme i kirken.
    Jeg er agnostiker, men jeg forsøger at lære den danske kultur (herunder religion), ikke kun sproget. I love to read Kierkegaard works. Hvis du ønsker at forstå Kierkegaard, kan du ikke undgå at tage fat på religiøs atmosfære, hvor han blev nedsænket. Undskyld, jeg ved at jeg taler dansk som et lille barn. Venligst, ret mig hvis jeg tager fejl.

    Than you and good bye!

    ReplyDelete